Thursday 10 January 2008

Prescience of Mortality

I was going for a run this morning, listening to Rammstein through my earphones and running along a main street on the footpath and thinking that at any time a person may drive out of the driveway of one of the apartment blocks there and hit me when I was running across the driveway and then I would be thrown onto the road in front of the speeding traffic and I would be royally squashed by a car or truck - stone dead. And the thing that I thought about was that then there would be no way for me to write and nobody would know that I was dead and that people would get upset that I hadn't responded to emails.

Crazy the things you think about when you are running along the street in one's middle years - because, of course, the issue of one's own mortality is now always strongly in the forefront of one's thoughts. (Well, not all the time, of couse, I don't want to sound that maudlin, but, as for most people, it is something that is there front and centre in their lives - or, at least, should be, in some manner, having to have to be dealt with).

No comments: