Wednesday 7 November 2007

did muenchen munch the big one?

I had a late evening working yesterday - well late for me for this job (6:45pm) - I am making a concerted effort NOT to put in long hours and additional work when:
(1) I won't get paid for it, and
(2) I won't be appreciated for it; and
(3) it really won't make a difference anyway
(there are so many other people around who don't get things done and everything depends on everything and everyone else in a complex web of interaction, so in most instances, everything you do is "diluted" (so to speak) by everything else around you).

The only reason to do the extra work is for personal satisfaction and fulfilling one's own sense of achievement and worth - for whatever that is worth. When I was younger, I had a great belief in the efficacy of my own work, in that if I put in lots of hours and much effort, then good things would come of it.

In a way that is true - good things have come of it - but not in the manner that one would have thought nor dreamt of - and maybe not in the manner of reward commensurate with the perceived effort (at the least from the long vantage of aged distance). Hence, the current attitude. One wonders what that will mean for the "payoff" in the future?

No comments: